It is a detailed step-by-step guide on how to root the Google Pixel 7 Pro. In this article, we will walk you through the entire process step by step, from understanding what rooting is to the specific tools and methods you’ll need to use. By the end, you’ll have the knowledge and confidence to unlock your Google Pixel 7 Pro’s full potential.
Why Root Your Google Pixel 7 Pro?
Rooting your Google Pixel 7 Pro allows you to gain administrative or superuser access to the device’s software. This means you can modify the operating system, remove bloatware, install custom ROMs, and enjoy additional features that are typically unavailable to regular users. Rooting your device can also improve performance and battery life, as well as give you more control over your privacy settings.
Rooting Risks and Precautions
Before proceeding, it’s essential to understand that rooting your Google Pixel 7 Pro can void your warranty and, if not done correctly, can cause irreversible damage to your device. Always make sure to follow instructions carefully, back up your data, and be prepared to accept the risks involved.
Preparing Your Google Pixel 7 Pro for Rooting
- Backup Your Data: Before attempting any modifications to your device, ensure that you have backed up all essential data, including contacts, messages, and media files. This ensures that you have a safety net in case something goes wrong during the rooting process.
- Enable Developer Options and USB Debugging: To access advanced settings and debugging features, you’ll need to enable Developer Options on your Google Pixel 7 Pro. To do this, go to Settings > About Phone and tap the build number seven times. After enabling Developer Options, navigate to the newly unlocked menu and enable USB Debugging.
- Charge Your Device: Ensure that your Google Pixel 7 Pro has at least 70% battery life before starting the rooting process to avoid any potential complications caused by a dead battery.
Unlocking the Bootloader
Unlocking the bootloader is the first step in rooting your Google Pixel 7 Pro. This process will allow you to install custom recovery and ultimately grant you root access. Follow these steps to unlock the bootloader:
- Install ADB and Fastboot Tools: Download and install the ADB and Fastboot tools on your computer. These tools are essential for communicating with your Google Pixel 7 Pro via a command-line interface.
- Download and install Google OEM USB drivers on your PC. Unzip the usb_driver_r13-windows.zip and open the folder. Right click on android_winusb.inf and click on install, this will install the drivers.
- Connect Your Device to a Computer: Using a USB cable, connect your Google Pixel 7 Pro to your computer.
- Open a Command Prompt or Terminal Window: Navigate to the folder where you installed the ADB and Fastboot tools. Open a command prompt or terminal window by holding Shift and right-clicking in the folder, then selecting ‘Open command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter Fastboot Mode: Type the following command to reboot your Google Pixel 7 Pro into Fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Unlock the Bootloader: To unlock the bootloader, enter the following command:
fastboot flashing unlock
- Confirm the Unlock: On your Google Pixel 7 Pro, use the volume buttons to highlight ‘Unlock the bootloader,’ then press the power button to confirm. This process will erase all data on your device, so make sure you have a backup.
- Reboot Your Device into bootloader: After the bootloader has been unlocked, reboot your device using the following command:
fastboot reboot bootloader
Congratulations! You’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Pixel 7 Pro. Now we have just done one part of the rooting process, now we need to patch the init_boot.img and flash it using PixelFlasher.
Rooting Pixel 7 Pro using PixelFlasher
PixelFlasher is like a one-click rooting tool for Pixel devices, the other method involves manaully patching the init_boot.img file with Magisk and that’s a longer process. You can also use it to flash the factory image without having to use the adb and fastboot commands. First you need to download the following files before you start rooting your Pixel 7.
- Download Factory Image for Pixel 7 or 7 Pro
- Download PixelFlasher tool
- Download Android Platform Tools R33.0.3 (R34.0.1 have bugs, so download R33.0.3)
Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to use PixelFlasher to root your pixel device, if you want, you can also watch the video tutorial on how to root Pixel 7 Pro here.
- Move all the downloaded files to a new folder on your desktop. Unzip the Platform tools folder.
- Select the “Browse” button, as indicated in the provided screenshot, to locate and select the unzipped Android Platform tools folder.
- Connect your pixel phone to your PC, and select the “Scan” button to identify your device.
- Click on the “Browse” button to select the Factory Image zip file.
- Select the “Rocket” icon to extract and process the boot.img file from the factory image zip. Wait for the processing to complete.
- From the displayed options, select the appropriate image as shown in the screenshot, and click on the “Patch” button. A warning prompt will appear; click “OK” to install Magisk Manager on your device.
- Finally, select the “Flash Boot” button to reboot your phone in fastboot mode, and flash the boot.img or init_boot.img file to your device. Wait for the process to complete, and then select the “Scan” button to re-identify your device. You may also choose to reboot your phone manually.
- Once your device has rebooted, open the Magisk Manager app. You will be prompted to reboot your device to complete the installation.
- Lastly, install the root check from the Play Store, and run it to verify root access.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your Google Pixel 7 Pro. You can now enjoy the benefits of root access, such as installing custom ROMs, removing bloatware, and unlocking advanced settings and features on your device.