Today I am going to guide you on how to fix the most annoying error which mostly occurs on Samsung smartphones and tablets, the error is called, “Firmware Upgrade Encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies & try again”. Many Android beginners are getting this error and is mostly discussed on XDA and other popular Android forums, so I thought to write a detailed step-by-step guide on how to easily get rid of this error.
There is nothing to be worried about this issue as your Samsung phone or tablet can be easily fixed. This error usually occurs when your phone or tablet is disconnected while upgrading or downgrading the firmware via Odin or Samsung kies. Just follow the 2 methods given below to fix the firmware upgrade encountered an issue.
Method 1: Use Samsung Kies to fix firmware upgrade encountered an issue
First of all I would recommend you try the official Samsung app called, Kies to fix the firmware upgrade issue.
Step 1: First of all, download the latest version of Kies from Samsung Official website. Here you go
Step 2: Obviously you need to install it on your PC.
Step 3: Now pull out the battery from your phone and note down the S/N or Serial Number of your device.
Step 4: Connect your phone or tablet to PC via the USB cable.
Step 5: Open Kies and go to Tools -> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization.
Step 7: Further enter your device S/N.
Step 8: Kies will now start preparing your device for firmware upgrade. It will take sometime depending on
your device and internet connection.
Step 9: Read and agree to the terms and conditions on next page and hit the button “Start upgrade”.
Step 10: Now here starts the firmware downloading section, so as I said earlier, Have patience and good speed of internet connection.
Step 11: Finally you should have the following screen, once the “Emergency recovery of firmware completed”.
Hopefully Kies will fix the firmware upgrade issue, if not then follow the 2nd alternative method given below.
Method 2: Use Odin to fix firmware upgrade encountered an issue
Follow the step-by-step instructions below, if in case the above method does not fix your issue. In this method we are going to manually flash the firmware using Odin which pretty works on every Samsung phone or tablet device.
- First of head over to sammobile.com/firmwares and download firmware for your phone.
- When download completes, extract the file on your desktop. You should get the tar.md5 file.
- Download Odin here.
- Run Odin3 application on your PC.
- Reboot your phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down+Home+Power buttons simultaneously till you see a warning message on the screen. Further hit the Volume Up key to continue.
- While in download mode, connect your device to PC via the USB cable.
- In Odin3 make sure, it detects your device. Otherwise install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Also make sure that only, Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are only check and rest leave the default Odin3 settings.
- Click the PDA button in Odin3 and select the tar.md5 file you’ve downloaded earlier.
- Finally wait for Odin3 and have patience while it flashes and install a fresh new firmware on your device.
That’s it guys, I tried my best to explain every possible method that can fix the firmware upgrade encountered an issue problem and I hope that you’ve now successfully fixed the issue. If in case you’re still having issues or need further help and support, feel free to let us know and we shall try our best to respond asap. Have a great day